May 31, 2010

Time to Prepare

When I was 17 years old my father suddenly died of a massive heart attack (July 8, 1969). One moment life was “normal” and the next my family’s world was turned upside down. To say the least this was quite a shock. I guess I was too young to truly understand what my mother had to deal with but looking back I am sure that confusion, despair, fear of the unknown, and dozens of other things clouded her mind. One moment she had a husband, a provider, a partner, a stable life and future and the next she was left alone not knowing what the future held for her socially and financially. When I have the opportunity I want to talk with her about it, what she went through, and how she dealt with it.

I have often thought about “how I want to go”. Quickly like my dad or slowly with some sort of disease? Selfishly I concluded that as quickly and painlessly as possible would be good. Spare my family and me the gruesome task of dying. Make it quick so no one suffers. I felt that way until April of 2006 when I was first diagnosed with a pretty ugly type of cancer, which, I knew, would eventually take my life. Fortunately God gave me time. With the initial round of surgeries and therapies we were able to extend my life. During this time we knew that we had a bunch of loose ends to tie up and a bunch of planning to do, but we had time. After December 2008 when the cancer spread we began to think very realistically about the situation but, over the following 12 months, focused our energy on more chemotherapy in order to beat this thing. Finally, in late 2009 I took a medical leave from work and in early 2010 began to seriously put our “ducks in a row”.

Financial
Our immediate concern was the financial stability of the family. I never (foolishly) really planned for retirement. I always figured that my retirement would take care of itself and we never really worried about it. I was concerned, but not worried. Fortunately, I do have a pretty solid life insurance policy, a not so bad retirement account, and fortunately our home is gaining equity so there is a base from which to work. Unfortunately, our debt burden is quite high. God provided. (God is good). We have been able to surround ourselves with a team of wonderful professionals who, I truly believe because of the Holy Spirit in them (God, bless these people), have come to our aid. We have an Accountant, a Lawyer, and a Financial Councilor who are working toward securing the family’s financial future. As of right now, it looks as though the family will be okay after I am gone. Might be a little tough for them financially and they will have some sacrifices, but God has told me not to worry about them, and, with the resources He has provided, I don’t worry now. Thank you God for your help. God is great. God is good.

Luke 12:22-24 -- He said to his disciples, ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!


Spiritual
I continuously thank God for softening my heart and letting Him in before I was diagnosed with cancer. I was a latecomer. I am not exactly sure when I accepted Christ as my savior and was, as some would say, “born again”, but I believe it was in 2003 or 2004. It was a gradual process but when it happened it was a powerful, life-changing event. From that time until the time I was diagnosed with cancer in 2006 I had the time to, at my own pace, study, learn, and build my faith in God and Christ as my redeemer. I stumbled along the way. At times I thought I understood more than I really did. And I am sure that I still think I know more than I do. The bottom line is right now, when I need it most, my faith is unshakable. I trust God. I will follow God wherever He leads me. I know what awaits me. I continue to study and learn. Since I know that scripture is God’s word I use scripture to find answers and guidance from God (which is why God has given us the written word). I find great comfort in God’s words and continue to build a better understanding of who God is and what He wants from me and for me. As a result of having strong faith prior to my diagnosis as well as having the time to continue my “spiritual journey” after diagnosis I believe that I have been able to face this challenge without fear. I would obviously prefer that this not be happening to us but I believe that God has given us this challenge to endure for a reason, and I trust God and will follow Him where he leads me.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 -- All scripture is inspired by God and is* useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

Romans 8:28 -- We know that all things work together for good* for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

Joshua 1:9 -- 'I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’

I do not want to die, at least not for a long, long time. I have a lot of stuff I want to do. I do not look forward to the “process” of dying (what will it be like?), but I do not fear death. My eternal life is assured.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 -- ...so that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have died.

Dear Lord, thank you for giving us the time to prepare, both financially and spiritually.


Lesson Learned
Okay, I have to put my trainer hat on here and spew some words of wisdom from someone who has been there. (When I used to train adults I always ended with a “Lessons Learned” segment to sort of cement the knowledge into the heads of the participants. Old habits are hard to break.) Here it is. Get your ducks in a row and tie off those loose ends now, both financially and spiritually. It scares me to death that, if not for God’s mercy and guidance and the work of the Holy Spirit, we might have been caught off guard and my family would have been left in a state of shock and disarray. If you don’t already, gain an understanding of your financial future and make the adjustments that are needed. If you haven’t already done so, open your heart to God, let Him in, build your faith, and secure eternal life.

Revelation 3:20 -- Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me.

Luke 11:9-10 -- ‘So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.'

Be prepared.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment