June 3, 2010

Clutter

As part of our overall effort to realign our priorities and focus some of our attention on the things that matter to us we recently decided to just go ahead and replace the carpeting in the den that should have been replaced ten years ago when we first moved into the house. In our house the den is really the family room. It is where we really go about the business of living. It has all the stuff in it that our family needs or wants to relax, play, watch TV, do some work, and well, just be a family. The family room is full of the stuff of life including computers, musical keyboard, TV, VCR and DVD players, guitar and amplifier, painting table, cat bed, cat toys, telephone, end tables, tables, lamps, treadmill machine, easy chairs, couch, pillows, blankets, saxophones, and gaming counsels. Every horizontal service usually has stuff piled on it for immediate or future use. In short, the family room is usually cluttered. User friendly but cluttered.

This evening we realized that tomorrow afternoon the new carpeting is going to be installed and we needed to clear the room out so the installers could do their work. We decided that this evening we would take everything out except for the essential things we wanted for this evening and the larger pieces of furniture that the installers will remove for a small fee. The essential things will be removed in the morning.

It is now late at night. Pat and Chris are in bed and Honey, the cat, is off somewhere hiding because of the thunderstorm (I’m not sure when she will emerge). Just a short while ago I was sitting here at the computer wanting to write but not sure what I wanted to write about. As my mind wandered I gazed around the room and a strange calm passed over me. It really caught me by surprise but it took only a moment to realize that the room was completely uncluttered and I felt “calm”.

As I thought about it I began to wonder about the “clutter” in my spiritual life. For years now I have pursued with passion knowledge about who God is, what He wants from us, and how to do His work in His Glory. I have studied the words of Jesus and the Apostles to gain a better understanding of how to live a Christian life. I have tried to tie it all together so that perhaps one day it will all make perfect sense to me. Have I cluttered my spiritual journey? Am I so involved in the process of progressing along my spiritual journey that I have lost sight of the calm presence of our mighty God? Yes. I think that I have cluttered my journey. Tonight I am going to be calm.

           Psalm 46:10 -- ‘Be still, and know that I am God!'

Oh yes, tomorrow after the new carpeting is put in all the stuff of family life is coming back into the room. And yes, I will again clutter my thinking with details. But it sure feels good to be calm, at least for a short period of time. I will have to make a habit of occasionally pulling out all of the clutter.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment