June 28, 2010

Mom's Words of Wisdom

Pat, Chris and I just returned from a weeklong trip to Ohio to visit my family. It was a wonderful trip back to my roots and I had the opportunity to reconnect with family members I have not seen in years. I intend to devote a posting to this trip later but I wanted to get this one out first.

In a previous posting I indicated that my mother is a wise woman. She has had a lifetime of experiences, both good and bad, that has given her a view of the world that only experience can provide. My mother’s parents immigrated from Italy and she and her eight brothers and sisters had a happy yet simple life with nothing coming easy for them. As you might expect they are a very close family and now, with children, grand children, and great grand children around them, they continue to live simple and happy lives.

I spent the entire week by my mother’s side which gave us the opportunity to talk about countless subjects. As we talked I was intrigued by her perspective on life and took note of several “words of wisdom” that she shared with me during our casual conversations. I want to share some of these with you in hopes that you will think about them and, as you find appropriate, incorporate into your view of the world.

Here they are. Mom’s Words of Wisdom.

The secret is to adjust to what comes your way in life rather than expecting life to adjust to what you want. When you find that you are having trouble adjusting then ask God for help.


Every time you are with someone treat them as if it is the last time you will see them.


Jealousy and envy will make you a very unhappy person.


You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.


God loves everyone. God doesn't punish you when you do something you shouldn't do. You punish yourself with your guilty conscience and your anger.


Children should honor their parents and parents should honor their children. The best way to honor your parents and your children is to tell them and show them that you love them.


Be nice to them but stay as far away from crazy people as you can.


Don't worry about the little things in life that bother you.


Keep God in your heart and know that He loves you and that He will take care of you.


Think of something every day that makes you laugh.


God hates it when people gossip. There is more damage done by the tongue than anything else.


People would be happier if they just learn to make do with what they have rather than worrying about what they don't have.


And I have to include the following from my Uncle T.  My mother, her older brother and his wife, my mother’s younger brother (Uncle T.), and I were sitting on the porch enjoying the wonderful Ohio summer weather. They were talking about their childhood and how they were able to make do with what they had and how they all worked in order to provide money for the family. My Uncle T. still lives in the house that my Grand Father and all the sons in the family built with their own hands. They all agreed that, looking back, they were probably much happier than they would have been had they had more money as a family and that the simple lives they still live is a blessing to them. Uncle T. then said, “What the heck would I do with a lot of money? That's why I don't play the lottery. With my luck I'd probably win.”

I think what he said is very funny yet very appropriate for their simple and humble life style. And as I think about it, a simple and humble life style is something we may all want to consider pursing.


Matthew 6:25-34 -- ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink,* or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? ...But strive first for the kingdom of God* and his* righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Micah 6:8 -- He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.


Dear Lord, thank you for the opportunity to visit with my family last week. I found it refreshing and encouraging. I pray that you continue to bless my family - all of the aunts, uncles, cousins, children, grand children and great grand children - and lead them toward living righteous and happy lives.


.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother is a sage. I especially like the idea, "Every time you are with someone treat them as if it is the last time you will see them." It is one of the ways in which I live my life.

    ReplyDelete