June 24, 2010

Turning to God in Bad Times

Why is it that people tend to put more emphasis upon their relationship with God when things are not working out so well in their lives than when life is good for them? Does God get a little irritated with people when things are going well for them and they tend not to focus a lot of attention on Him? Does God listen to the prayers of those people who come to Him only when they need His help?

Hosea 13:2 -- 'When I fed them, they were satisfied; they were satisfied, and their heart was proud; therefore they forgot me.'

I am ashamed to admit that, even though I had been studying God’s word and working toward building my relationship with God for some time before, once I was diagnosed with cancer my efforts went into high gear. I began to talk more to God. I studied more intensely. I prayed for intervention. In short, I tried to become God’s BFF (Best Friend Forever). I NEEDED HELP!!! So I turned to the Almighty God, seeking his grace.

But why did it take a crisis in my life to motivate me to become so much closer to God than I was? Thinking about this I believe that I was just being stubborn enough to think that I can control my own life. Things were going pretty well up until that point and, well, I was doing it on my own. When I hit upon something that was pretty much out of my control I finally submitted and gave control of my life to God. Up to that point I had a relationship with God but, for lack of a better term, it was a “casual relationship”. Once I hit a crisis that I could not deal with alone I began to pursue an intimate relationship with God.

Proverbs 3:5-8 -- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be a healing for your flesh and a refreshment for your body.

So when I went to God with my head bowed low and with my hat in my hand, what did God think? Jesus had the following to say about people coming to Him when things are tough.

Matthew 11:28-30 -- ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

And Peter tells us:

1 Peter 5:7 -- Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.

So there is an open invitation for us to turn to our Lord when we need help. This is good. But is this invitation for everyone? If I had not had at least a casual relationship with God up to my crisis would God have responded to my pleas? Now, if I must say so myself, I think this is a great question. Unfortunately, I do not have a great answer to it other than, “I’m not sure.” God revealed the following to us through the profit Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 17:5-11 -- Thus says the Lord: "Cursed are those who trust in mere mortals and make mere flesh their strength, whose hearts turn away from the Lord… Blessed are those who trust in the Lord…"

God is telling us here that if you put all of your trust in yourself or others than you will be cursed while on the other hand if you trust in the Lord you will be blessed. I think what this implies is that if you have no relationship with God at all and, as a last resort, you simply cry out to God for help without knowing if God is even there to hear your cry then no, God will not respond. If, on the other hand, you know and trust God but have resisted turning your life completely over to him up until this point then yes, God will respond. I believe that God will view this final submission to Him very favorably and will do what He needs to do to help you and encourage you to maintain such a relationship with him.

So what happens once the crisis is passed? Well, I believe that is pretty much up to us. We can either turn away from our trust and submission to God and once again put all of our trust in mere flesh until the next crisis. Or, we can continue to build upon our new relationship with God, trusting that He will guide us through our journeys and whatever they may bring. Which of these do you believe is most pleasing to God?

God is Great. God is Good.


.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Paul, did you ever read the book "The Shack"?

    You will never be the same...it has the answers I was looking for...it is so simple. I recommend you all read it. You will love it...Love You!

    ReplyDelete