September 20, 2010

A Private Retreat - Time With God

Pat, Chris and I spent a long weekend at Edisto Island with Pat’s sister’s family and her mom and dad. It was a wonderful weekend. I did not do much other than sit-around and watch the hustle and bustle of a vacationing family. It was so much fun just watching people having fun. The house had a wonderful ocean side porch and the weather was perfect for just sitting in a rocker and looking over the beach while reading, simply dozing, talking to God, and praying. I found myself doing a lot of praying.

I think that it was the change of scenery and the beauty of God’s creation that helped me take a “private retreat” with God. I did a lot of talking while God did a lot of listening.


Psalm 18 -- The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 46:10 -- ‘Be still, and know that I am God!'

Joshua 1:9 -- 'I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’

Matthew 6:25-34 -- ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink,* or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? ...But strive first for the kingdom of God* and his* righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Matthew 9:20-22 -- ‘If I only touch his cloak, I will be made well.’...Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, ‘Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.’

Matthew 11:28-30 -- ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

Matthew 26:39 -- ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.’


I found the time I took for my Private Retreat to be refreshing and renewing. I will have to take them often.

Thank you MK and J for a great weekend.


.

1 comment:

  1. Thats great that u found some time to enjoy your family and the environemnt around you...so peaceful, time to reflect on what is important. Bless You.

    ReplyDelete