November 12, 2010

Medical Update

Blood levels were borderline on Thursday (yesterday) but my oncologist gave the go ahead for chemotherapy. Finally once again fighting back. I am scheduled to receive another treatment next week and I pray that I will be able to receive it.

Psalm 91 -- For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence; he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.


I am hoping that the dreaded “chemo brain” will be a mild case this time around. Typically after a treatment I end up in a “chemo induced stupor” which is very disorienting.

I continue to have little strength and stamina. Along with the chemotherapy I got pumped full of fluids. This will perk me up for a few days and will hopefully sustain me through the weekend.

My oncologist tripled the amount of steroids I take in a day. Since then I am developing red splotches on my arms, my face is red, everything is swelling, and I am sleeping restlessly. I don’t like steroids but as long as my oncologist feels it is best I will put up with it.

I felt a little shaky on my feet so, for fear of falling, I used my walker to get around rather than my cane. This is the first time I have used it and was a little self-conscience about it. I felt like a feeble old man pushing the walker in front of me… Come to think about it, I guess I am becoming a feeble old man (laughing to myself). But then again, getting old is the objective, right? Getting old without falling is better yet. I’m thinking about putting a little basket on the walker so I can cart around some stuff (mocha coffee) with me as I use it. It is not really possible to carry anything and use the walker at the same time. Maybe I’ll include a bicycle horn, a rear view mirror, and some streamers as well. (Hey… If your going to do it you might as well do it all the way, right?)

Just before Jesus was arrested that night before his crucifixion He prayed to His father, asking that, if it is possible, to not let happen what was about to happen but that he would willing yield to God’s will. This is a perfect example of a perfect man’s humanity.

Matthew 26:39 -- ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.’

I continue to raise this prayer to God everyday. I also thank God for the day he has given me and ask Him for another. So far he has not failed me.

God is great.  God is good.


.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    I'm smiling at the visual of your walker bedecked with basket, horn, mirror, etc. How about a little license plate, too?
    I hope your chemo brain was slight and that you enjoyed the weekend with your family.
    Love and prayer,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete