November 16, 2010

Went for a Walk (With the Walker)

I was sitting around yesterday starting to feel sorry for myself. Feeling sorry not because I have cancer, I can live with that with God’s grace, but rather because I have been so dragged down with no strength or stamina. You cannot imagine how hard it is for me to even get out of a chair my legs are so weak. It has gotten to a point where there is very little I can do for myself and must rely on Pat and Chris to do the simplest things for me which they gladly do. I am very thankful for their attentiveness but I would like to improve my quality of life enough that I can once again be doing at least a few things for myself.

As I was sitting there sulking about my condition I said to God, “Dear Lord, help me.” One word came back. “Exercise”. It was a gentle response and very logical. Now I may have come up with this answer on my own but somehow I believe that the response was from God. (Thank You Lord.)

Okay. Exercise. Go to the gym? Begin lifting weights? Aerobics? Naaaa…. I don’t think so. I just need to get moving and work my muscles, particularly my legs. I had used my walker for the first time last week when I went for chemotherapy and I was quite please how it aided my stability so that I had no fear of falling. Okay. I can begin walking, with the walker, for no other reason than to begin using my leg muscles. Great idea. I’ll do it.

So, I loaded my friend the walker into the back seat of my car and headed to the mall this morning. My plan was to hit the mall, walk around as much as I could, then reward myself with a hot mocha. Now the mall here is not large but my objective was to walk from one end to the other and then, of course, back again. I hit the floor of the mall (trying to suck up the fact that I was in public with a walker) at a slow and steady pace.

I made it about half way to the other end and stopped, sat on a bench, and rested for a few minutes. My legs felt good but I was loosing stamina. After a short while I was back on my feet and moving. “Hey, this isn’t so bad.” I thought. When I reached the far end of the mall I sat again for a while, regained my strength, and headed back to where I began my walk. I had to stop once along the way but I made it with no trouble at all. All in all it took me about 40 minutes to complete my journey.


1 Corinthians 10:13 -- No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


The mocha tasted extra good.

My intent now is to do this as often as I can. I am now a “Mall Walker with a Walker”.


Dear Lord, thank you for another day of life. I humbly ask for another. Thank You for all of the many blessing You have provided my family.


.

3 comments:

  1. Paul,
    I would love to join you at the mall for a walk, a mocha and some conversation! Thanks for reminding me how wonderful each ordinary day can be.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'My Cousin The Saint,' is a great book by Justin Catanoso that I recently read. The author finds out that his grandfather's cousin, Padre Gaetano Catanoso of Calabria, Italy is being cannonized a saint in 2001. "A typically lapsed American Catholic, Justin embarks on a quest to connect with his extended family in southern Italy and ultimately, to awaken his slumbering faith." That last line is from the inside cover!
    In any event, I thoroughly enjoyed his adventure of discovering his roots and learning about the life of his ancestor who so inspired others that he was being recognized by the Catholic Church as a bonified 'saint.'

    As I mentioned before, I love the saints......I love reading about their lives and circumstances and about how they nurtured their relationship with God. It seems to me that the one thing they all have in common is that they all suffered - some from physical ailments, some spiritual - and that they so fully embraced this suffering because they saw it as bringing them in union with Christ - carrying that cross. They never complain. It's as if their suffering chips away at the earthly distractions so that their understanding of eternal life is heightened. A necessary evil, if you will.

    I am currently reading Debra Herbeck's "Safely Through The Storm" which includes several quotes that I find inspirational. They also remind me of 'my cousin the saint'......you - Paul:) Your Mall Walker with a Walker story is told with the same patience and acceptance as any other saint I've read about.

    Here are a few 'saint' excerpts from the above-mentioned book that I thought you might enjoy also:

    Be at Peace Today
    Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow. The same Eternal Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day of your life. He will either shield you from suffering, or he will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts.
    ----St. Francis de Sales

    God Does Not Change
    Let nothing disturb you,
    Let nothing frighten you,
    Though all things pass
    God does not change.
    Patience wins all things.
    But he lacks nothing
    Who possesses God;
    For God alone suffices.
    ---St. Teresa of Avila

    Four years ago when I went on Pilgrimage to Italy we visited a remote mountain town of San Giovanni Rotondo. That is where St. Padre Pio spent most of his life. He is one of our modern saints having lived from 1887-1968. He was cannonized in 2002. While he is said to have had the gift of tongues and bilocation, he was most well known for the spiritual phenomenon of the stigmata. He suffered the wounds of Christ for over 50 years. 'The wounds were painful, and he felt them not only on his hands, on his feet and in his side but also, as was recently revealed, on his shoulder, where Christ carried the cross.' From '39 New Saints you should know' by Brian O'Neel.

    Here are a couple of thoughts from Padre Pio-

    The Way to Heaven
    What does it matter to you whether Jesus wishes to guide you to Heaven by way of the desert or by the fields, so long as you get there by one way or the other? Put away any excessive worrying which results from the trials by which the good God has desired to test you; and if this is not possible, resign yourself to the Divine will.

    and

    Make Yourself at Home
    It is just as well to make yourself at home with the sufferings that Jesus is pleased to send you as you must always live with them. In this way, when you are least expecting to be liberated from them, Jesus, who cannot bear to keep you long in affliction, will come and relieve you and comfort you, giving you new courage.

    Since saints are just 'holy and human people who live extraordinary lives,' I think you qualify. So from now on, you are 'MY COUSIN, the saint.'

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so lucky to have Linda in our lives arent we? When ever Jack and I need advice or compassion...it is Linda we seek out. Like her mom...she knows just the right thing to say. We love her very much.

    ReplyDelete