December 3, 2010

Cancer Is Limited

The past couple of weeks have been tough. My blood counts are still out of whack so I still have not resumed chemotherapy. My strength and stamina are still low and I have little energy to do much of anything. The Lymphedema in my right leg is causing some serious pain. And, to top things off, my left eye has lost focused so my doctor insists that I don’t drive. Oh well. {Sigh}

I found myself focusing on all of these negative things when I received an email from a friend. In this email was an inspirational quote that she thought I might find useful.


There is a sign in the Mayo Clinic that reads:

"Cancer is limited: It cannot cripple love, it cannot shatter hope, it cannot erode faith, it cannot eat away peace, it cannot destroy confidence, it cannot kill friendship, it cannot shut out memories, it cannot silence courage, it cannot invade the soul, it cannot reduce eternal life, it cannot quench the spirit, and it cannot lessen the power of the resurrection."


What timing! This could not have come to me at a better time. I believe that the Holy Spirit was at work here, inspiring my friend to send it when I needed it the most. Thank you Pam for your help. Thank you Lord for your continued guidance.

And I totally agree that the cancer itself cannot have an affect on these emotions, characteristics and end points. But I have to add to it with… “Unless you let it.”

Yes, cancer is limited in that it only directly affects the physical health of the diseased patient. However, if the patient allows it to, it will also affect his mental and emotional health as well as possibly shatter his trust and faith in God.


Love
If the cancer patient cannot maintain a healthy level of self-esteem during the ordeal then he will find it difficult to love himself as God’s creation. If he cannot love himself it will be difficult to love those people closest to him.

Inner Peace, Confidence, Hope, Faith, Courage
I believe this is critical. There may come a time during the journey with cancer that the patient may have to make some tough choices about treatment options and quality of life. At this point the patient may feel helpless, not knowing what to do or how to do it. He could easily lose inner peace, confidence, hope, faith and courage. Pat and I were talking about this the other day. We quickly came to the conclusion that our best option was to turn it over to God. We have faithfully followed Him through this entire journey and He has not led us astray.

Matthew 11:28-30 -- ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

Matthew 19:26 -- But Jesus looked at them and said, ‘For mortals it is impossible, but for God all things are possible.’

Romans 5:3-5 -- And not only that, but we* also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope..

Friendship and Memories
Throughout our journey we have had countless numbers of friends who have reached out to us with prayer and support. It is truly humbling. I believe that many of these people have gone to battle with us because they see us battling this cancer every step of the way. If we were stuck in our own personal Pity-Party it would be difficult for our friends to stand with us.

Quench the Spirit, Invade the Soul, Eternal Life, and the Power of the Resurrection
If the cancer patient allows himself to become focused upon the flesh and the grief caused by the cancer rather than the Holy Spirit where strength and guidance can be found then the patient may expose himself to doubting the power of the Holy Spirit, promised eternal life and resurrection.


This journey certainly has been an interesting and eye opening experience. We have found ourselves facing situations and decisions that are very foreign to us. Along this entire journey we have put our faith in God and let him guide us through all of it.

Joshua 1:9 -- 'I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’


Thank you Lord for Your continued guidance and the many blessings You have mercifully provided our family. We trust You and will continue to follow You where ever You lead us.


.

4 comments:

  1. Well, there you are! I've missed your postings this past week, but understand what you've been up to.

    Your latest thoughts remind me of a story my oldest son, Kevin told me.

    He was a freshman at Baldwin-Wallace College and arrived for football camp. The coaches were addressing the players one by one with inspiring, motivational types of stories - trying to begin building a bond of trust amongst the young men I suppose.

    The most memorable was from one of the defensive coaches who told them he had lost his wife to cancer -- than he told the boys that he LOVED cancer. Got their attention! He said that from the time his wife was diagnosed and all through her treatments and all that was involved in the battle, they had the most loving, caring and genuine support from their family, friends, and people that they barely knew.

    He said he could not fully explain what wonderful things having cancer had brought to their lives - the outpouring and support of so many.

    Our hope would be that we would treat each other this way just because we should.....but if it takes cancer or some other illness to inspire us...well, better late than never.

    I am so glad that you and Patty feel this outpouring of love from those around you. You are inspiring us with your blog, also. It's quite a gift for us for you to share this experience so openly.

    Hey, I like what you did with the Padre Pio quotes also.......very nice.

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times that when at work I have used you (anonymously of course) to inspire and motivate those people that find themselves in dire straits as the result of the economic times.

    I tell them that while things look desperate and hopeless...they need to fight back and "own" their challenges, don't let it "own" them. Your courage has proved this all through your challenges. You are the very essence of the "strong man" Hercules and Prince Valiant all rolled into one. God Bless and Love Pat

    I read your blog to Jack and he continues to pray for you and wants you to know you are constantly on his mind and in his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . and your sense of humor has remained intact. I love your Uncle Fester comparison!
    As I think about you throughout the day, Paul, I smile as I pray.
    Love,
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Paul. I confess that this is the first time I have read your blog. And I am very moved. I especially like the Mayo quote. Very challenging... I must confess, my faith is challenged just thinking about your cancer and your (physical) situation! I appreciate your challenge to deepen my faith. Thank you, and God bless.

    Greg Loughlin

    ReplyDelete