December 22, 2010

Down the Home Stretch

I have been in the hospital now about a week and a half. I must say that I feel a whole lot better than I did last week. The staff here at the hospital is fantastic. I have been well cared for.

We got some bad, but totally expected, news yesterday. The cancer is progressing quite rapidly in my abdomen and liver and, as anticipated there is really nothing we can do about it other than turn it over to God, which of coarse we have done. We have shifted our focus from cure/prevention to quality of life. We will bring hospice in to help with my care. I'm not yet sure what that means other than helping me stay as comfortable as possible with the time I have left which, according to the doctor, is around 4 to 5 months. HEY.... I have an expiration date! "Good for use until Spring 2011". If things get bad enough I will go into a nursing home.

The Bible is loaded with encouraging and uplifting versus. I find great comfort in them.

Psalm 18 -- The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 31 -- In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me. Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily.

Psalm 91 -- For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence; he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

Joshua 1:9 -- 'I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’

Dear and merciful Lord.  Thank You for guiding us along our journey and please continue to lead us toward profiting Your kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    Thank you for providing words which ease our sadness about your diagnosis. Thank you for showing me how to put my worries into God's hands and for showing me how easy it is to trust Him. He's there for all of us, isn't He?
    Brother, you have changed my life and I will be forever grateful.
    Love,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete