December 10, 2010

Medical Update

It has been an interesting week on the medical front, with a mix of great news and not so great news.

First the Great News
As a follow-up to my brain surgery we had a brain MRI earlier this week to see if there are any more tumors forming in the brain. I meet with my neurologist today to learn that the scan showed “all clear” with no evidence of further tumor growth. This is really, really good news. I was prepared to learn that another was forming so this was a welcome outcome. (I really do not want to go through another brain surgery.) The area of the brain where the original tumor was is still “void” of brain matter but is filling in nicely. God is great. God is good.

The Not So Great News
I went to the oncologist this past Wednesday for blood tests and hopefully chemo treatment if the blood work came back okay. The blood work came back looking good (finally) so I was able to take the treatment I have been waiting for. Back into the fight! The kicker is, as I had feared for a few weeks now, that my oncologist is recommending that I stop chemo all together. He is concerned that I have taken all the chemo over the years that my body can tolerate and that more would do more harm than good, particularly with respect to “quality of life”. He wanted to not give me treatment this week, feeling that stopping now would be best for me. We talked about it a bit and I told him that we had committed ourselves to fighting this beast as long as we could and as long as there was some hope of extending my life. He indicated that he was not sure that more chemo would help. We reached a compromise. I took the chemo this week. We’ll do a scan in a couple of weeks to see if the tumors have continued to progress. I they have, implying that the treatments are not helping; we’ll stop the treatments. If the tumors have not progressed we’ll reevaluate and make a decision as to what to do next, if anything.

Matthew 9:20-22 -- ‘If I only touch his cloak, I will be made well.’...Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, ‘Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.’

Right now I am feeling pretty lousy after the treatment a couple of days ago. I am very tired and have no strength. I am pretty much in a chemo-induced stupor. The oncologist may be right. Do I want to spend the rest of my life feeling like this?


Dear Lord. We have faithfully followed You throughout this journey and will continue to do so. We ask that You continue to lead us down the path that will best benefit Your kingdom.



.

3 comments:

  1. Paul,
    We are thrilled about the "great news". We had feared that the loss of focus in your left eye was an indication of another brain tumor. So your brain surgery was worth it!
    As for the "not so great news", your compromise sounds reasonable and your prayer says it all.
    We hope you feel better soon.
    Love,
    Ann and Clyde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you...God Bless Jack n Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,

    The courage of the woman who was bold enough to touch Jesus' cloak has always inspired me. It's a fitting scripture - your determination and faith in the face of the "not so great news" is inspirational.

    Natallie

    ReplyDelete