December 19, 2010

An Encouraging Squeeze

Last week in my May 10th posting I spoke about the conversation that my oncologist and I had regarding the safety and wisdom of continuing with chemotherapy. He recommended that we stop. I indicated that I wanted at least one more treatment, not yet willing to retreat from the battle. We agreed to at least one more and see what happens and I had my treatment that day.

Whoa… so does this guy know what he’s talking about or what? The treatment hit me like a ton of bricks on a truck moving at 70 miles an hour with the wind at its’ back. By the weekend I was becoming delirious and I really could not walk. My white blood count bottomed out. I’m really not sure what day it was but I think it was on Monday the 13th that I was admitted to the hospital. Today is Sunday the 19th and I am still loading up on steroids, fluids, antibiotics, pain meds, etc. I am hoping that I’ll be home by Christmas. (This would make a great song title.)

Okay. So now what? Well, we don’t know. We’ll do some scans to see what’s going on and decide at that time.

Psalm 18 -- The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

We will continue give this over to God and let him lead us through this. His will be done.

Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed by thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

Now comes the good part.

Last night I was lying on the hospital bed trying to read. I was having a hard time focusing on the book since my mind was busy reflecting on recent events in our journey. Suddenly I felt a hand come down on my shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze. I quickly turned but no one was there. Okay. Muscle spasm? I turned back to my book and a few moments later I felt the hand on my other shoulder followed by a gentle squeeze. I didn’t have to look. I knew who it was. What a wonderful way for my gentle and loving Lord to provide encouragement to me in such an intimate way.


.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! And now you are able to post again, too. Thanks be to God.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete