August 9, 2010

Designer Religion

I have been intrigued by some of the religion news recently being reported and I simply must comment on it here in my blog. It seems that there are some well-known people who are just not satisfied with how well their current religion is meeting their needs. Here are three that have occurred in just the past week.

Author Anne Rice on her Facebook page posted, “I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.” In a CNN interview she indicated that, “although she is quitting Christianity she would still follow Christ.” (What? Quit Christianity but still follow Christ? How does that work? Isn’t that like saying I am no longer an alcoholic but I am still going to enjoy a drink now and then?)

And then there is this. Robert Pattinson the British actor who plays ‘Edward’ in the Twilight series has gone public with his desire to start his own religion. Details so far have been almost nonexistent, but it is on his list of things to do: "I definitely want to start my own religion.” Now wouldn’t that be convenient. Create your own rules that assure eternal life. {sigh}

Finally Julia Roberts - "I'm definitely a practicing Hindu. I've been so spoiled with my friends and family in this life. Next time (when I am reincarnated) I want to be just someone quiet and supporting," said Roberts in Elle magazine. Now Ms. Roberts certainly has every right to practice Hinduism. But if you don’t like who you have become Julia why wait to be reincarnated to change who you are? Do it now!

I did a Google search on the phrase “start own religion” and got 40,900,000 hits. That’s almost 41 Million! Wow. It seems like there are a lot of people out there who are dissatisfied with mainstream religion and are looking for a religion that is designed specifically to meet their personal perceived needs.

As I have indicated in a previous post in this blog I am a Fundamentalist Christian. I believe every word in the Bible is the word of God. I believe that the Bible is the one and only source we have that instructs us on how to live our lives such that God will find us worthy of a place in His eternal kingdom. This is my belief. It may not be yours and that’s okay. We are all free to believe what we want. I hope that what follows does not offend you but, if it does, well, I’m sorry. Send me an email if you would like to discuss. (EndureAndShine@gmail.com).

Why do so many Christians resist accepting the Bible as the word of God? I think back to all of the sermons I have heard in a Christian church (Catholic and Episcopalian) and I cannot think of one that zeroed in like a laser beam on the fact that the Bible is the only source of the word of God we have and that its words, all of its words, and its words only, will lead us to salvation. Does that mean that our Priests and Ministers have not properly taught us? If so, why not? Is it that they know that this is not what we want to hear? Do they not want to stir up a hornet’s nest within their congregations?

Psalm 119:104-106 -- Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe your righteous ordinances.

The following two paragraphs are paraphrased from Marsha West on NewsWithViews.com on July 3, 2009 who articulates my views much better than I can. She says:

“It seems as though many main stream churches have begun to tweak doctrine in order to appeal to what their congregations want from organized religion and I think that what the congregations want is to come away from a church service feeling good about themselves and the lives they are living. So many contemporary churches are all about “me”. They seem designed for the individual who hopes to find personal fulfillment. To have their felt needs met. To hear a preacher whose message (sermon) won’t offend anyone’s sensibilities. Some Christians have the attitude: “If the church I attend doesn’t meet my needs, I’ll find one that does.” Take that! And they’re out of there.”


“Even with all the programs that churches offer to draw people in, Christians still bounce from church to church to church…. Why? Their needs are not being met. News flash! Christianity is not about having your needs met! It is not about you! It's not about you being happy. It’s not about making yourself a better you! It’s not about enjoying your life now! It’s not about becoming prosperous and pain-free! What Christianity is supposed to be about is knowing who God is, understanding what he wants and how he expects you to live your life, loving God, living a righteous life, putting God in the center of all you do, and getting sinners into heaven. It is supposed to be about accepting Christ as your savior and redeemer. If you can do these things you will be happy. You will be living and enjoying the best life now. Having your needs met is the result of living a Christian life.”

And I must add, living a Christian life secures your place in God’s eternal kingdom.

Proverbs 3:5-8 -- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be a healing for your flesh and a refreshment for your body.

Isaiah 45:5-6 -- I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides me there is no god.

1 Corinthians 10:11 -- These things happened to them to serve as an example, and they were written down to instruct us.

Dear and mighty Lord, thank you for providing us with Your word in the Holy Bible. Thank You for providing us with the instruction and commands that will lead us to profiting Your kingdom and to eternal life with You. Thank You also Lord for all of the blessings You have provided my family. I continue to pray that You give me more time with them.


.

1 comment:

  1. If everyone quits being a Christian who will be left to fix it?

    ReplyDelete