August 12, 2010

Screaming for Mercy

Today was the first day back in the infusion chair after a year away from chemotherapy. It is funny, but it is almost like I had never stopped taking chemo. It almost felt “natural” (that is almost sick, isn’t it?) I just ran the numbers quickly through my head and I think that the infusion today was something like the 60th that I have had since we began fighting my cancer. Wow. I wonder if that makes me a professional chemo patient or something. (I would guess that my medical insurance company has a different term for it.)

At any rate, after just one infusion I have not yet felt any effects of the treatment. I suspect that this time next week after the next dose I will begin feeling the dreaded “chemo brain” where I begin slipping into a chemo induced stupor. I’m not really looking forward to that but it is a small price to pay for the ongoing gift of life that God is providing me. God is Great. God is Good.

Matthew 9:20-22 -- ‘If I only touch his cloak, I will be made well.’...Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, ‘Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.’

As I sat in the chair while the drugs were being pumped into my body I could hear those evil cancer cells screaming for mercy. It was music to my ears. We will show no mercy.

Dear Lord, thank you for providing us with life saving chemo drugs. I thank you for continuing to give me life. I thank you for your steadfast love and guidance.


.

2 comments:

  1. Your situation is tragic, yet inspiring. It is not fair but then, if we got what was really fair for what we truly deserve, we would all be in trouble. Your circumstances are not the best, yet counter intuitively, you come across with Thanksgiving and praise with an attitude that says I deserve worse.

    My situation is quite different. I have not been tried health-wise as yet. I am inconvenienced with a headache or a hangover and here you are with a life threatening disease and still offering encouragement.

    There is a reward for souls like you Paul. It isn't happy talk either but a conviction, a resolve, a faith...that gives blessing and yes, healing to yourself and others.

    Dear Lord, I beseech you to look down on your adopted child Paul and bless him, give him strength, and yes, even healing physically in this life ....to extend his calling and mission to deliver your message of hope and life to a confused and sick world...he is your servant..please bestow upon this man, this father and husband...a recovery that gives you glory...in Christ's name...Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in our hearts and prayers...fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete