August 10, 2010

Medical Update

Last week I had a CAT scan and an MRI as routine follow-up testing and today we met with my Oncologist to get the test results and have a checkup. It was this time last year that I finished my last round of chemo and since then my cancer has been, for lack of a better term, “stagnant”. The tumors in my lungs, abdomen, leg and liver had remained unchanged which, for the type of cancer I have, is a good thing.

Somehow both Pat and I knew that the test results we received today would not be good. I think that since I have been so tired with little energy this summer we knew something was up. At any rate we were not surprised when we were told that the test results showed that the tumors in the various parts of my body have begun to once again grow.

We really have few options at this point. Well, actually we have two options. The first is to do nothing and let the disease take its course. Nah… I don’t think so. (We have fought to hard up to this point to give up now.) The second option is to enter once again into Chemo Therapy which, beginning tomorrow, we will do. We will use the same therapy we used last year that successfully stopped the tumor growth in hopes that it will once again come through for us. It will involve seven three-week rounds of treatment. I will receive one drug in week one, a second drug in week two, take the third week off, and then start the cycle over again, repeating seven times. So, for the next 21 weeks we will be on the roller coaster once again. Last year while taking this treatment I was able to tolerate it pretty well and we are hoping that this time will be no different.

Psalm 31 -- In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me. Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily.

I know that God is leading us down this path for His own reasons and we trust Him and will follow Him wherever he takes us. I also know that God has commanded me to continue to do His work by enduring and letting my light shine to provide an example to others on how God is guiding us through this journey, provided for us in so many ways in our time of need, and how he continues to bless us as we continue our battle.

Hebrews 10:36 -- For you need endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.

Matthew 5:14-16 -- let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.

Dear Lord, please continue to bless us as we begin the next phase of our journey. You have provided us with the best medical care available, with the Holy Spirit within our Christian community for comfort, with a caring family who lovingly supports us, and with Your word to guide us. We thank you mighty and merciful Father for all of these blessings.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment