October 28, 2010

God Bless the Caregivers

Cancer patients are blessed with easy access to high quality medical care and skilled doctors and nurses who know how best to care for their patients. It seems like new treatments are discovered daily that cure the disease or extend the life of the patient. Through God’s mercy there is always hope.

1 Corinthians 10:13 -- No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Beyond the doctors and nurses there are countless unsung heroes who provide intimate care to the cancer patient. These heroes are the immediate and extended family members of the patient as well as friends. I have spent hundreds of hours in the chemo room receiving therapy along with a dozen other patients. In most cases (almost all), each of the patients receiving therapy had a loved one by their side to provide comfort and support. These loved ones are as much a blessing to the patient as are the doctors, nurses and drugs. The care they provide reaches far beyond the chemo room. Their hour-by-hour, day-to-day care that they unselfishly provide the patient is truly a blessing from God.

What would I do if I did not have my wife Pat by my side? She has been such a source of strength and support. She has given so much of herself toward my care. She is always there to help and cater to my every need. God bless you Pat and thank you.

Our son Chris has willingly stepped up and has taken up the slack in the day-to-day tasks around the house that I can no longer do. Chris is there when you need him and the care he provides is priceless. God bless you Chris and thank you.

My sister-in-Law MK and her husband Jonathan (both Medical Doctors) have unselfishly provided countless hours of care, guidance and support. God bless you both and thank you.

My sister Ann, her husband Clyde and my mother, although living hundreds of miles away, have provided such valuable moral support. They have always been there for us. All we need do is make one phone call. God bless the three of you and thank you.

Behind the scene are the other family members and friends who rise up prayers and provide support to us and who ask their friends to do the same. The number of people who have come to our aid has humbled me. The Holy Spirit has worked overtime on our behave. God bless you all and thank you.

Matthew 25:35-36 -- ...for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”

Mighty and merciful Lord, thank you for providing all these caregivers. The care and support they provide is so important to us. God bless the caregivers.


.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    What a nice tribute. Thank you.
    Yes, just call, 24/7.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete